The A-Z Of A&R
This groundbreaking one day masterclass covers everything you need to know about the world of A&R including expert advice on how to make powerful connections, get signed to a major label and get your songs recorded by major artists.
What does A&R stand for?
A&R (Artists and repertoire) is the division of a record label or music publishing company that is responsible for talent scouting and overseeing the artistic development of recording artists and songwriters.
What will I learn on the course?
- What is an A&R person?
- What do they do?
- How many people get signed each year to a label?
- Who’s who in a Record Label?
- How do I get noticed by an A&R person?
- Should I send a demo? How many songs? What format?
- What else should I send e.g. flyers/merchandise/novelty items?
- What is the A&R looking for in an artist?
- How much should I already have done in terms of social media/fanbase?
- When does the A&R know they want to sign someone?
- Can an A&R person sign an artist or do they need authority? How many people need to say yes?
- What happens next?
- How long does it take to get signed?
- What should I expect from a record deal?
- What will the label expect from me?
- Can I have a deal as well as a full time job?
- Will I get an royalty advance?
- How many albums/singles will I be releasing?
- How long is the average deal?
- What’s the reality of being an artist signed to a major label?
- How much writing/recording/touring will I do?
- When will I get paid for my music and how much?
- 5 things every artist must do if they want a deal
- 5 things every artist must NOT do if they want a deal
Live A&R Session
Our major label A&R executives will give live feedback on song submissions! Tracks will be played anonymously to our panel who will treat it as a regular A&R session. Will you get switched off after 30 seconds or keep the panel listening to the very end?
Is This Course Right For Me?
Everybody stands to gain something from this course.
If you want to become a professional songwriter for major label artists, this course will show you how. Our A&R Team will talk you through the process from demo submission to International release.
Already written a hit or two? We find that there’s still lots to learn in an ever changing industry. Find out how to stay ahead of the game and take this as an opportunity to network with influential major label A&R.
Producers have one of the most important roles in the music industry. Whether creating their own or another’s work, they need to know the information that’s important to a successful track. This course will help you understand exactly what sounds the major record labels are looking for.
Music shouldn’t always be used purely to make money and we understand that, sometimes, you just want to play music for the love of it. But you never know, you might be sitting on a hit song waiting to be discovered!